Total Pageviews

Monday, March 12, 2012

The Very First Time

     When I decided to return to school as a doctoral student, I did not imagine some of the struggles I would have. The juggle of family, job, and school was an enormous challenge.  The financial tag placed a strain on my budget.  My friends thought I had disappeared. But I recalled the ebb and flow of the semester and relearned how to schedule myself so that I could devote myself to my studies during certain weeks and come up for air on others.  Last semester I was given a difficult assignment by my professor.  I chuckle as I write this since I know that every assignment has been difficult.  I was asked to explore issues of identity, literacy, and power in a given setting.  My classmates chose their research among a broad range of topics:  one examined and wrote about identity and graffitti, another wrote about identity and Facebook, and another wrote about identity in an autitstic child with artitstic talent.  I struggled with my topic. Most of my classmates were teachers and many were able to work with current students or former students or students' friends.  As an administrator I wanted to explore how principals and administrators express their identity. Someone suggested I study blogs.
     I got lucky on my first venture into the blogosphere and wound up on Scott McLeod's site.  His appeal to administrators to begin blogging hit home so here I am.    As I read the blogs of  other administrators, I am reminded of James Gee's work on affinity spaces.   In affinity spaces people interact and relate to each other around a common passion,  proclivity, or endeavor.  By their very nature blogs are a magnet that attract like-minded people.
     I will continue to read and study blogs.  I am considering if blogs actually foster leadership?  What do you think? I would really like to hear from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment